We all hear a lot about exercising and working out and keeping fit and so on. But why, really, should we exercise in the first place? Let us look at some reasons.
1) Exercise boosts health. This is the most obvious reason to exercise. Exercise helps prevent or reduce the risk of heart disease, Type II Diabetes, some forms of cancer and stroke, helps retain bone density and boosts your metabolism.
2) Exercise makes you feel better physically. When your body is strong and in good shape, various aches will go away as you move and stretch the affected and surrounding muscles. Also, you will feel more confident when you know your body is well maintained.
3) Exercise can help you sleep better. Give yourself an intense workout and when you go to bed, you will likely sleep quicker , more restfully and longer. As a further benefit, good and adequate sleep also helps your body rest and recover and thus function better.
4) Exercise makes you feel better emotionally. Exercise boosts the release of endorphins – hormones that make you feel good.
This combats stress and depression.
Also, exercise is fun. Seeing yourself being able to walk a bit longer or to do one more pushup is thrilling. Seeing yourself lose one more pound of body fat, or fit into an outfit one size smaller than the one you have been wearing is exciting!
5)Exercise saves you money. Generally, exercise boosts health and cuts down on the expenses of medication and treatment of disease. When you are fit, you can save the expenses of having to pay someone to do all your physical tasks for you – mowing your lawn, washing your car, walking your dog and so on. You can carry out such chores as a bonus exercise session. In addition, controlling your weight means you will not need to buy bigger clothes every few months.
6) Exercise enables you to live a fuller life. When your body has developed endurance through exercise, you will be better placed to walk up the stairs to visit a friend, play with your children or grandchildren or with your pet, participate in outdoor activities and carry out your errands and chores freely, and so on.
7) Exercise helps you look good. Proper exercise, coupled with proper nutrition, will help you lose fat and build or retain muscle. This will make your body look better, even to yourself. You will look like someone you take care of your body.
8 ) Exercise can help you make friends. If you participate in sports, or go outside for a walk, or join an online forum on exercise, you increase your chances of meeting people who share at least one interest with you – exercise. Also, you will probably feel more confident about meeting people when you feel confident about how you look.
9) Exercise helps develop discipline. For best results, you need to follow some sort of plan with some consistency. Random spurts of exercise will not help much. Developing such discipline can be helpful in other venture of life, where you can also research the relevant information, develop a plan and follow the plan to achieve your goals.
10) Exercise teaches responsibility. If you are an adult of sound mind and with freedom to choose, then you are responsible for your body. In many cases, people realise there is a problem when they see the state of their physical body. Some of them decide to do something about it and take steps to fix the situation. Learning to take care of your body can also help you take responsibility for other aspects of your life.
There you have it! Ten reasons to exercise. Why do you exercise? or why do you want to exercise? (You DO want to exercise, don’t you?)